Wednesday, 11 October 2006

tutors

Steve McDade - he's my personal tutor and the head of the department, so he's always really busy and rushing off to meetings and stuff. He looks like Dustin Hoffman! :P I think he's really good. He's a funny guy, and really lets you get on with your stuff how you want to do it. Sometimes I'd like more guidance than he gives me, but I think that's the point of degree level work - figuring it out yourself.

Chris McHugh - he introduced us to the course, and is only really in on Tuesdays to do our group tutorial, that's where we all sit round and sort of discuss what we've done through the week on our project. He always makes silly jokes, and really offended some people last week - one person he said a bit of their work looked like sausages and she got all 'huffy' about it, the other person has left the course now!! Think some people are too sensitive, especially the mature students for some reason.

Chris Aggs - he took us for our drawing workshop on a Monday for a couple of weeks. He's quite serious compared to the other two. He seems to 'teach' more than them, which is a good thing. Haven't really had him often enough to say what he's like properly.

Tim Sandys-Renton - he did my interview in March. I've liked him ever since the first time I emailed the college and he was the one that replied and completely answered my question! The interview was good too, he looked though all of my work and we talked about it all properly. He's a real 'rough and ready' type person - "slap paint on that and see what happens, sit on this piece of paper and draw round yourself!!" (that was so much fun!).


The trick to working with all these tutors is to know their personality, know when they're joking, too busy to talk, really helping you, at complete odds with what you're trying to do etc. etc.

Sometimes two different tutors will tell you different things about the same project, in that case you have to extract the bits of information you want to use and also put in your own personality.

I love it here - I like all the tutors, I'm sure everything will be fine.

There's also Mike Savage, who looks like a ginger sheep hehehe! He has bushy hair and eyebrows ;) we have him for sculpture workshop.

No comments: