Saturday, 29 July 2006

shakira – oral fixation

At the first time of writing this I haven’t listened to this yet, I just wanted to point out something with my artist knowledge ;)

As soon as I saw this image it reminded me of this painting: Cupid Complaining To Venus. See Venus is standing under a tree, naked and looking straight out of the picture and not as her son. Cupid is looking longingly up at her wanting something. On the album cover Shakira is standing under a tree, naked, looking out of the picture, with a baby reaching out to her who she’s ignoring. I’m sure they must have based this cover on that painting, it’s a bit of a big coincidence if it’s not.

There were three versions of this album, volume one, two and a Spanish version. Volume one had a slightly different track listing and front cover, and didn’t have ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ on it, which I really like. So I bought volume two. I might get the Spanish version too, later, because on ‘Laundry Service’ I actually like the Spanish versions of the songs better than the English. Maybe if someone is singing in their own language they do it better, which is understandable.

Incidentally, Shakira in Polish means ‘Axe’ ;)

Now I’ve listened to it, it’s sort of similar to Laundry Service. She has a very strong and unusual voice. Her stuff is a bit different I think.

2 comments:

blj said...

Interesting about the cupid and venus cover.

Hips don't lie is really good. You can hear it for free from shakira's website.

elizabeth said...

oooooh right....now you tell me :P :P

hehe

i've been drawin her too and she's really good to draw