In fact I bought two!! :P
We went round a little gallery in Chichester and saw some nice paintings and drawings and stuff. You could buy all the things on the wall, as usual the ‘red spot’ thing (they put a red sticker on the name tag if the thing has been sold). They were all really nice. They also had a little rack thing of un-framed stuff by the same artists who had framed things on the wall.
I was leafing through them, as I usually do, and I came across this one piece. It’s a life drawing of a woman, done on black paper with something called ‘white compte’ (I think) which I’ve never heard of but looks like white pencil. The artist has picked out all the light bits in white, and left the dark bits.
This is the most beautiful picture I’ve ever seen in my entire life.
I had to buy it, because it reached out to me like no other piece of art ever has. There were some of the same artists work on the wall – similar life drawings done in the same way, but my favourite was definitely this one. It cost £25, a bargain in my opinion ;) it’s the drawing with a black mount.
It’s so well done, that you can actually see the rest of the woman even though there is nothing there. The illusion is perfect. All that is on the paper is some small patches of white. But your eye fills in the gaps and the rest of the picture becomes clear. I’m going to find a frame and put in on my wall forever!
The other picture I bought was in Arundel – the same sort of thing, we went round a little gallery full of framed pictures on the wall for sale, I could have bought a lot of them there were some gorgeous flowers and animals. Anyway, we got round to the end and there were some greetings cards which were hand painted in watercolour for £1.50!! You could see that the people had a formula – they could knock out tens of cards in hardly any time once they had the right design. But I thought it was such a bargain to get an original piece of art for so cheap.
I’ve never really considered buying art before – the biggest reason being that I am an artist myself and I can paint and draw, so I never saw the point of owning a piece by someone else when I could paint a picture myself for free (well, the cost of paint). But you can’t always paint something as good, better, or even the same as someone else. And it’s nice to see a different style or subject sometimes. Plus art is usually stupidly expensive and I resent paying for it or can’t afford it. I’ve never seen a painting or drawing that I’d really, honestly like as my own. But the gorgeous drawing of a woman had to be mine. And now it is ;)
Monday, 17 July 2006
i bought an art
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A very good piece for 25 quid is definitely a bargain. I am sure the artise will be happy so he made some money for the day.
PS: definitely more positive than the other post
hehe but that other stuff HAD to be said :P :P
Post a Comment