I saw The Lake House the other day (Orange Wednesdays again ;)) and it was sooooooooo good. It’s actually gone right to the top of my favourite films list, maybe even over taking Closer.
It’s about time travel, in a way, two people writing to each other across a two year gap in time. They both lived in the same house – the lake house, one in 2006, the other in 2004. Now this Kind of story has been done before (I remember seeing one – a TV movie, called The Love Letter or something like where the two people live a hundred years apart). I wanted to see The Lake House because it looked like a new take on the idea. Two years is hardly any time – in fact it would be very easy to actually meet the person. But this film shows that two years can actually be a whole world apart. It definitely was a new take on a simple story idea.
For one thing – the two people Had already met, its just the woman in the future didn’t know it was him yet. And there’s a beautiful Paul McCartney song in there too.
If you see this film you’ll walk out at the end remembering what you were doing in 2004, I know I did....
I can always tell if I really love a film, partly when I really want to see it again straight after I’ve just watched it, and partly for some unknown reason that it just strikes a chord with me. Just like Closer – I’ve seen that film loads of times, I watch it almost every two weeks it feels like. I know the script hehe.
Films, books and music (and art but that goes without saying) are extremely important to me. All four “strike chords” with me, I never “just” watch a film, “just” listen to a song, “just” read a book – its actually an event, important, something to concentrate on. Yes sometimes you just stick a film on, but I never tune it out or have it as electronic wallpaper. I’m always watching, even if I’m not intently looking, square eyes, at the screen or taking notes :P
Same with music, I find it very difficult to just put an album on, I tend to listen to isolated songs either because they remind me of something, or mean something to me. It annoys me if I get interrupted while listening to a song, songs need to be heard from beginning to end – I think some people find that hard to understand and get frustrated with me if I say “I can’t talk to you now, I’m listening to music”. They think its trivial and you can do both at the same time, or turn the music off, but it’s important to me.
Anyway, blah blah :P
Friday, 7 July 2006
the lake house
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Time travellers: nice concept for a story. I will try to watch it at some point.
This is the way music, books and films are to be enjoyed. I am not into books much, but I do not like it when someone bothers me while watching movie or working on the computer.
welllll it's not really "time travellers" - they both live in their own time and never leave it, but they write letters to each other through time.
it's an ace film - go see it! ask out the woman at the hsbc :P
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
HSBC, girl probably not a good idea anymore. The movie is not on either. oh my life!
aaw why not :P
I don't know that girl and not even a customer in that bank. Probably she would think I am mad. Just don't have a good feeling about asking someone out who I never had spoken before.
well yeah i suppose so, i can understand that.
but you could go in to the bank and just put a note under the counter that says "i'm not a customer here, i don't want any money, but i just wanted to talk to you - here's my number call me when you finish work" ;)
Yea, I should try that.
Though this post on the HSBC girl was infact a similar attempt. It received many visitors from all parts of world, but not her. So far it is a dud. :(
yeah i already read that ages ago - how else do you think i knew about her?!?!
who says that she even Has the internet. you can't post a thing like that on some obscure blog thing and hope that one person in the world of Billions reads it.
you got to take the bull by the horns and just ask her in person!! :P
Yes, I know you visited my blog and hence you suggested asking her out and the link is for others just incase.
I agree, this is not the good idea to put something up on the blog and hope for that to happen. But I was trying my luck. It would have been a great story if it ever happens though.
I will try giving her the note, may be when I am there next time.
Thread is going way off-topic, I better stop now.
hehe who cares about going off topic?!
sometimes I actually get annoyed if anybody does this kind of thing to my blog ;). As long as you don't mind, I can chat away publicly.
Post a Comment