Friday, 16 September 2011

30 days day 4 - favourite book

  1. A favourite book
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy



This has been my favourite book ever since I read it in 2003. I bought the whole set of five and read them back to back instantly. When I say ‘Hitch Hikers’, I really mean the set of five novels which go together. It’s so funny, and clever – Douglas Adams certainly had some unique ways of looking at the world.

I really like ‘So Long and Thanks for all the Fish’, the fourth book, in which the story of the girl in the cafĂ© is finally told. It involves Arthur Dent falling in love with her ;)

Even if you’re not usually a sci fi lover I’d say anyone should enjoy this purely for comedic value, and if you are a sci fi lover, there are plenty of nerdy moments in it for you too. But more than anything, I think it’s a wonderful social commentary.

As a lot of the content of the books is not set on Earth, the author is then free to talk about Earth and Earthlings and all their failings, weird foibles, and how they deal with people from other worlds (seeing as they fail to even get on with their own kind most of the time). What happens when they meet beings that are even worse than the worst of humans.

I have read the books, listened to the radio show, seen the t.v. show, seen the recent movie, and listened to the audio books read by The Man himself. I love how they are all similar, but different – they have the same main characters, but there are slight plot changes which mean you can enjoy them all individually.

My next task is to read other Douglas Adams books!



n.b. reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on an eBook blows your mind...

4 comments:

blj said...

This is my absolute favourite book too. I should read it again.

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish -- Isn't this the chapter in which Arthur was able to fly?

elizabeth said...

Yes.

The only answer is Yes ;)

He was able to fly, I think a metaphor for finding his love ...:D

blj said...

and Marvin of course is my favorite character in it.

blj said...

I was enjoying that one in particular, as I used to get similar dreams about me flying.