Wednesday, 14 September 2011

30 days day 2 - favourite movie

  1. A favourite movie

This one has to be:

Closer



This is my favourite, favourite movie – and I don’t really know why. I like plenty of films, of various genres. Something in this film just clicks for me.

I saw it the first time at the cinema, and I couldn’t wait for it to come out on dvd!! The summer that I bought it, I must have watched it literally every day.

I don’t know whether the reason is that it is such a simple format (it’s based on a play and you can really tell). There are only four characters, and a limited amount of locations, the four characters interact with each other and usually it is only two of them at a time.

They all dance around each other, there are various love triangles, raging fights, intimate moments. In my opinion it is a story about how men and women deal with each other – what they say vs. what they think, what they are expected to do and say vs. how they really feel inside.

There are so many nuances to it. It is not just another Boy meets Girl film. I’m glad that I’ve seen the film and read the play – and I’d glad that the film is a lot like the play, they’ve stayed quite faithful and it’s probably because they’ve kept the format simple, and the fact that Patrick Marber wrote both the play and screenplay.

I may have to dig it out now, haven’t seen it in a while.

No comments: