Thursday, 15 June 2006

read it swap it

I just got back in touch with my pen pal Sarah. I’ve been writing to her for about 6 years now, on and off – when we don’t write it’s my fault because I’m usually busy working or just not finding the time to sit down and write.

Anyway!

She just told me about this site called Read It Swap It, where you can swap your old books with other people and get new ones, all free. It sounds like a really good idea and there are loads of books to choose from.

I can see a few problems with this though. One, you’re dealing with real people like on eBay, so they could be unreliable, slow to post, wrong descriptions, not delivering etc etc. But I suppose they have a feedback system to minimise that. Two, I don’t like to give my books away – I like having a full shelf of my own books that I’ve bought. Maybe if you only swap the ones you don’t like and don’t mind not seeing again. Or maybe you could arrange to swap the books back again after you’ve read them. A sort of internet library, instead of the swap being permanent.

I’ll have a think about it, because it sounds like a good thing to me as books are so expensive. I signed up for an account and will have a surf on it whenever I fancy a book, just to see what’s on offer.

2 comments:

blj said...

interesting.

elizabeth said...

well i thought so...