The title is a quote from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by the way.
I just got back from a sort of date with Neil. He’s this guy I’ve known from the sixth form at school, who liked me but never talked to me, we went out for the first time four years ago, and I’ve always liked him ever since. We go out occasionally, always trying to be friends and yet somehow never being just friends.
I think we like each other too much for that to be possible.
I like him more than any other man I’ve known. And I know that I have a whole chunk of life yet to live, but still, it feels important to me that everything seems to be right with him. He’s gorgeous, kind, steady, generous, cute, a nice man all round. And I’ve liked and fancied him for over four years now.
We’ve never got together, simply because the timing has never been right. We’ve always been at different stages in our lives and I don’t know, life gets in the way maybe.
I don’t know what love is and I think those who do and those who have it are lucky people. But this is a pretty close call. He’s always the only one that does everything right.
I don’t know how he feels. He has a “soft spot” for me, apparently. But he’s never asked me to be his girlfriend. And I know he’s had other girlfriends in between seeing me, even though we never talk about it (I hear from mutual friends). I know hearing that from another person I would assume he just uses me.
But it’s different when it’s me. I know there’s more to it than what I have written here. I know there is more to what he feels that I have mentioned, and that I haven’t asked him or discussed it.
I know that I compare people to him. If I’m on a date I think of all the reasons why he isn’t Neil. It’s not fair on anyone to do that, the guy, me or Neil himself. I know if I meet someone and he becomes a boyfriend I’ll wonder if he’s better than him.
I think maybe sometimes I blow it out of proportion, really he’s nothing special, that he does use me, that there’s nothing between us but a physical attraction, some kisses, some dates. But four years? And the feeling never goes away? I don’t think, oh it’s only Neil – I’m over him. I’m never over him, and maybe I never will be.
I think I love him and what if I never get to be with him. What does that say for me or the people I may go out with. What if my time never comes and I’ve been waiting for nothing.
I would rather have him for the little time I have, than not at all or never again. I’d rather leave things as they are than to ask if he loves me and him say no.
I love his chin dimple :P
4 comments:
ahhhhhhhhh!!! all lovey lovey feelings are nice.
I never understood why girls always wait for the boys to ask em to be their gf. do you mean, you never had discussed how deep your feelings are for him, I guess you better do it pronto.
Yes life does gets in the way of many people, sad isn't it.
ah, but it's not as simple as "will you be my gf", "yes", "ok then"
It's more than that. We could have done it at any time, but there's always been things in the way. Like him being away at uni, me being busy, him being busy, me being with other people, him being with other people, me leaving soon, him having a hectic job these days.
It's complicated and hard to explain in a little box ;)
And like i said i don't want to discuss it only to turn out he only wants to be friends, i'd rather have it how it is than not at all.
The other week when i went on a date with the other guy i mentioned, Neil sent me a text saying i looked stunning. Meaning that all through the date i was thinking of him and not the person i was with. He always does everything right, even when it's not his date.
I understand, even though this tiny box has little to say.
I am not an expert in relationships, but my advice for any one in your situation would be to go forward and ask. if things work out then find the solution for all the complicated life of uni, work etc.
You have atleast 0.5 probablity only if you speak, else 0. So, I do still think you should ask without any fear of losing whatever you have today.
and there is no fun in being this simple...
"will you be my bf", "yes", "ok then" (note: gf changed to bf)
finally, its your life -- you know better
"You looked stunning" -- damn, I envy Neil ;)
well to be Exact:
he said - i Always look stunning ;)
big blush from me ;)
Post a Comment