Had a real ba$tard of a bad day today.
First day back after the Easter holidays. Before we went away we got a sheet saying something like "carry on with the project, do at least five development pieces, we will be having a presentation and crit to the rest of the group on 24th April".
I was looking forward to this, for one: I like talking about my work; two, it gets it straight in my own mind what I’ve done and what to do next; and three – the whole group doesn’t usually get together, as we’re split into out separate specialisms (fine art, 3D design, graphics and textiles) so I was interested in seeing other people’s work who aren’t doing fine art like me.
As I’m an Art Nerd I’ve done thousands of paintings for this project (ok, well 12) and two A2 sketchbooks*. So I couldn’t possibly carry all my work to college myself, plus any work I needed to do while there, it’s just too heavy.
SO I had to get a lift from my dad. He’s working at the minute and sets off really early so I had to ask him especially to go late to take me. Don’t think he was exactly thrilled by that, it was one of those “jangling the keys one second past the time we’re supposed to set off” type situations.
Anyway, loaded up my big A1 folder plus my little A3 folder which I put paints and the like in (just cos it wouldn’t fit in the big one with the work in). The roads were Busy as Hell. We crawled out of our village, crawled to the town where my college is, took half an hour to go a seven mile journey. Happy happy dad making a stressful journey he didn’t even have to make anyway.
Got to college all laden up with a multitude of folders, upstairs to the studio, there’s a sign on the door saying “A level exam Monday and Tuesday 9 – 12, 1 – 3”. I thought, ok then...
Went in, turns out Foundation group (that’s me) are still in the room, we just have to be quiet. Should point out that an art exam is where you do a timed piece, so it’s quite an informal exam you just have to be in silence.
Now, seeing as they’re organised by an outside influence – the exam board, exam dates are set up weeks and weeks in advance, certainly they would have known this before the holidays. So why the Hell tell us that we have a “presentation” when we have to be quiet in our own studio because there’s an exam on?! UGH!
Long and short, I annoyed my dad, brought all my stuff in, drove in rush hour, wrenched my arms out of their sockets dragging the ba$tard folder up a flight of stairs for...nothing.
Decided to do a piece on two sponges, and it turned out really well I think. Got depressed cos there’s a girl who is ten times the painter I am and my work is, again, pretty mediocre in comparison. People kept complimenting everyone else except me which also gets tiresome.
There were far too many dead spiders in the sink – one.
I could have stayed behind until six o’clock when my dad could have picked me up, but didn’t want to stay any more, and also had a good idea to try on some fabric I had at home.
Left at 15.40. Got to the bus station at 16.05, just missed the 16.00 bus...ugh. Waited for the 16.30 bus, ate my lunch (hehe forgot to stop working :P). The bus came...and went without any people on it – it had a cracked mirror. Probably some health and safety rule says you can’t carry a bus full of people with faulty equipment. So we all waited another half hour for the next one, meaning one bus had two buses worth of people on it – lovely! Sardines!
Got home Two Hours after I set off from college. Sat down with a coffee, my dad comes home 5 mins later. UGH. So didn’t do any work anyway! Wasted two hours when I could have stayed behind and got a lift, what a lovely day.
Watched two eps of Doctors, ate Chocolate Cookiesssss and had a bath. That solves most problems :P
*A2 is four times the size of A4
1 comment:
That was a lot to go through in a single day, anyway here is a link to change your mood.
Prick (jokingly) judges children’s art work
Post a Comment