Sunday, 23 April 2006

dan brown is ace


Here's something that annoys me: people who slag off Dan Brown for his book "The Da Vinci Code".

I like Dan Brown. I got The Da Vinci Code for my birthday, read it, loved it, subsiquently bought all three of his other books and am currently reading "Digital Fortress". Dan is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.

The most important words to remember when reading the next bit are:

Novel and Best-Selling.

I'd just like you to remember that.

First of all, for people who haven't read it (GO! GO NOW! READ IT!!) there won't be any spoilers in this. The ideas in The Da Vinci Code are NOT Dan Brown's. There have been countless books on the subject, which he actually mentions in the book. This book is a Story. A Novel - it's made up, it's a work of fiction that's a good read. He did research, and put it down in a piece that has sold like hot cakes. I Doubt some American author set out to destroy the Catholic church.

I'm not saying that the ideas aren't true, they may be (and it makes sense to me), but people have to make up their own minds on that issue.

The most annoying thing is churchy people coming on the news saying "oh people are turning away from the church, and it's all because of That book" etc. (paraphrasing here).

Religion is about faith - believing in something. Do the church really think everyone is going to stop believing just cos of this book. I think they should question their own teaching methods before they question Dan Brown if they think The Da Vinci Code is bigger than The Bible.

ANYWAY The message here is: Read The Da Vinci Code, it's good. And don't slag off Dan Brown because he wasn't the first to use this idea! :P

No comments: