Wednesday, 16 August 2006

the problem with cds

Well, I Was going to take all my cds to uni with me, but the other day I changed my mind and thought to myself, “self, they’ll take up loads of room, might get stolen, and you’re buying a big ass mp3 player soon. Why not just put all the songs on your computer which weighs less than hundreds of cds?”

So I started the mammoth task of converting my cds to mp3s. A mammoth task indeed. I have a few on the comp already, about 50 albums – some are my cds, some are copied from other people, some are copied from the library, and I also have some random files which I’ve acquired over the years.

I’ve been doing this for a couple of days now and the total stands at 81 albums (some of which are doubles). Today, a little box popped up saying “you’re running out of disk space!”. So for the last few hours I’ve been rearranging the files on my comp, deleting some stuff, organising some stuff better, deleting files that are in two places at once etc.

Now I’m thinking to myself “self, you’ll have to just have your digital music on your big ass mp3 player and not on your computer after all”. What I’ll probably do is, when I get my mp3 player and put everything on it, I’ll delete albums from my comp that I Really don’t listen to, and also delete songs I don’t listen to from albums I do listen to. This will free up space on my comp.

I’ll leave my favourite albums on my comp, and then have my mp3 player (the make is undecided yet), and leave all my cds at home just to listen to when I’m back. After all, I don’t have a stereo or cd player. I have a portable cd player but it’s not exactly the best in the world. So if I ever wanted to listen to music I’d have to do it on my comp anyway. Much simpler, and much more efficient, to take my stream lined bits of technology than hundreds of clumps of plastic I’ll probably never use once I’ve got an mp3 player.

Genius!

If only there was a similar way to cart round dvds. The problem in that department is the picture quality – they don’t transfer to digital quite so easily, and here I don’t mean file size etc. I mean you’d still have to take a big enough and good quality enough screen to watch them on. Music you can listen to anywhere – you’re ears don’t change size if you’re on the bus or in bed ;)

4 comments:

blj said...

Before you make big investments on the mp3 players, probably it is worth waiting for the new things that come out for the christmas -- for e.g. Sony's mylo though little memory, it does more than a MP3 player.

elizabeth said...

no i don't care about an mp3 player "doing" anything.

all i want it to do is store all my music, and play it when i want it to.

i'm not bothered about gadgets and gizmos and it doing anything other than play music and have a big memory.

and i'm definitely not waiting til christmas - like i've just said my music won't fit on my computer and i don't want to take all my cds with me.

Anonymous said...

remember to backup your music files on the laptop. It can be really painfull if your laptop goes missing or the files corrupt :(

elizabeth said...

well yessssss i can see that, and i will.

but after all, all the music will still be on the original cds.

i know i'd have to mp3 them all again, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.