I must share some Eurovision news, seeing as it seems to be well and truly the season!
The biggest UK news is that Engelbert Humperdinck will be representing us this year, with an unknown song being written by some pretty big names. This news has gone down extraordinarily badly on the internet ... with about 90% negative comments.
I agree that it may do nothing for the reputation of the Eurovision in the UK (it already has an image of ‘fuddy duddy’ apparently ?! among the people asked in the street). I can just imagine if JLS or One Direction did it, suddenly you’d get hoards of youngsters chanting ‘Eu-ro-vis-ion! Eu-ro-vis-ion!’.
If a 60s crooner suddenly pops up from nowhere, it’s going to spark the reaction of “Who? HumperWhatWhat??” Or “I remember him, even if I am Stanner’s best customer now”.
Don’t get me wrong – if the song is great, and above all NOT old fashioned, and he can charm the audience and win over the youngsters, then I am all for it. Anything to keep us getting upwards of 100 points (and maybe WIN once again in my lifetime!!!)
Now for news from around the world ;) Another Eurovision blogger has been raving about the Netherlands offering, but I don’t see it... It’s plinky plonky and ok, I’m sure it’ll provide endless entertainment over the next year, but I just don’t think it’s special enough to win.
I have been cutely dancing along to this 60s inspired thing from Israel ... 60s inspired ...wait a minute!! ;) It sounds like it should be in a film like ‘East is East’, or ‘The Guru’, I can’t put my finger on why. This is nice, but has got some negativity about it’s simplicity. But people complained that Eric Saade’s lyrics were juvenile too and he got 3rd place, so you never know!
I really like the Hungary entry this year, I think it’s slipped under the radar of most people. It sounds current to me (even if the band name is ridiculous!) It’s actually a tad Linkin Park esque, just quieter. I hope this will do well, and maybe slipping under the radar it won’t have the time to pick up negativity before the big night! What screams good things to me is on Youtube this particular video has received 53 likes, and NO dislikes.
I also really Really like Belarus. Even though it contains a line “We are the winners”, it is not a comic, self congratulatory Eurovision song. Again it’s current, rocky but not so much that the casual listener can’t get on board with it. They have the sound of Nickelback about them. I think this stands a good chance of doing well. Place your bets now please.
And finally ...This is just the silliest thing, this makes me laugh so much...! When I think of this, I think of this Family Guy sketch ;)
This, um, song, is Austria’s entry (who if we all remember took their bat home a few years ago because they never win anymore). It’s by a group who most English speaking countries will have to blur out on a Saturday night (or is it just the UK that would have a problem with a bodily function being mentioned in a bands name?).
The song is basically a rappy thing about shaking your derrière, showing off your jewellery, avoiding the Noodle Soup gang, and being aware that your bum has feelings too... Listen to the whole thing, it Will make you chuckle. Oh, Austria *face palm*
Now the weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment