Wednesday, 24 May 2006

it's me!

For our end of year show at college, we display our final piece for out final major project, and write a little description of how and why we did it. This is so the people that come round looking at out stuff have a fighting chance of actually knowing what it’s about :P (because some of it is pretty weird).

Our tutor said we could also put a photo up of ourselves, but she wasn’t going to make us because she’d had trouble in the past trying to get people to put up photos hehe.

So I was thinking, why not put a drawing or painting up of myself instead? Because, being an artist, I think in some ways that would show me better than a photograph. So with that in mind, here's my little self portrait ;)

It’s pen on canvas – I was going to paint it, but I’m not confident enough yet with paint and faces to do that, I thought it might spoil it

Click here for a close-up, as you can see it’s quite textured and the pen has picked it up quite well.

The side of my face looks really fat in it hehehe! I’ve altered it a bit since I took the photo, put in some more hair on the right hand side ;)

Going to put it in the show next to my work. If I’m being honest, it’s partly to show that I Can draw, as I don’t think my final piece for Water is very successful. Wouldn’t want it to be what defines me to whoever comes to the show.

5 comments:

blj said...

With those big eyes and the dot on your cheek, you look terrific.

I was actually comparing your drawing with your one and only photo that I can see in the blogger. I could'nt help notice myself seenig a mic next to you, dont tell me you sing as well?

Nice picture and I am sure people will like it. Let us know the how people responded to it.

More doubt, what are other alternatives to canvas?

elizabeth said...

hehe thank you! the show isn't for another month so it'll be a while before it's put up.

the photo was taken at an ex boyfriends house - he sang and played guitar (just amateur but he was really good). no i don't sing, i'd be too shy hehe ;)

alternatives to canvas - actually, almost Anything. anything that the paint will stick to. any type of fabric, wood, metal, paper, card, plastic........it depends what type of paint you are using of course, and some things need priming first.

but actually you can paint on most things, and it all depends on what effect you want to create.

blj said...

Singing: I have tried to imitate enrique and recorded it. And the outcome was, well I guess I don't have to tell that.

Alternative to canvas: now i realise its a dumb question to ask. Yes it makes sense, should be a common sense after all.

elizabeth said...

it's not a dumb question - if i wasn't in art i would wonder why most artists tend to use canvas and whether you can use other stuff.

i still think about it now hehe

blj said...

so you still wonder what to choose... ask "the know it all guy of art", hehehe thats meeeeeeeee :))

PS: If I ever get a chance to punish you, I will make you to enter 100 the word verfication in 10 minutes... ;) word verification is grrrrrrr.