Well.... Eurovision fever is upon us!! I’m only blogging this now because it’s the only time I’ve had a chance, I’ve actually been tuned to this years Eurovision for a few months now, ever since the songs were being chosen!
I’m a big Eurovision nerd. Go on, ask me anything. My specialism is 2004 – present, but I dabble in the early years when it was a lil bit silly in parts hehe.
The reason for telling you this today is...my copy of the CD popped through my letter box this morning!!! I was bouncing around the place!!!
I spent some time earlier listening to all the songs (even though I’ve been Youtubing them up for quite a while, but it’s always good to get the quality versions through the speakers!) and the inevitable putting all the info into the mp3 files.
I can’t actually believe I can hold this object in my hands. It is mine. At last. All is decided - it’s history in the making in a very real sense!
I have to say, a few months ago I would have said this was shaping up to be a pretty hideous year. However, having listened through the CDs, there are only a small few I’d turn off half way through. That’s unusual, normally it’s about half and half ones I like to ones I don’t.
The semi final line ups are on the Eurovision website, so I made copies of the songs and put them in the order they will be played on the nights. I know, I had time on my hands today ;) Then me and Bri chose “our final” (the ten songs from each semi we really liked, plus the Big Five), and our top fives out of all of them – not necessarily what we think will win.
So, what I will share with you now is my top five (which was Such a tough choice! I had to include a sixth. We justified that by saying that in Bri’s top five were two of mine, so we each chose an extra song to make up for it hehe).
Now this is in no particular order...
Country: Romania
Artist: Paula Seling & Ovi
Song: Playing with fire
This is catchy and danceable. The girl is dressed like Emma Peel. I like the double piano thing they got going on. This will hopefully do well.
Country: Serbia
Artist: Milan Stanković
Song: Ovo je Balkan
This is Very Serbian. It’s a lil bit silly. He seems like a nice boy. I love it when a country chooses a song that’s ‘their’ type of music. It reminds me of the half time show of the 2008 Eurovision where Željko said “weddings and funerals!”.
Country: Moldova
Artist: Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira
Song: Run away
Moldova has been in the good books since they hit us over the head in 2005 with a granny banging a big drum. I love love love the unexpected crazy saxophone!!! This may suffer because it’s on first of all in the contest. However, the jury vote might save it.
Country: France
Artist: Jessy Matador
Song: Allez! Olla! Olé!
OMG this is so summery and catchy. I really really hated France’s 2009, so so so boring but got loads of points! I think maybe the singer is so famous she could sing the phone book. I love that France have pulled this song out from somewhere and it’s great! A French Will Smith tee hee. Tout le monde!
Country: Belgium
Artist: Tom Dice
Song: Me and my guitar
To be frank, Belgium are usually pretty dire. I liked 2008’s quirkyness, but they haven’t qualified for the final in years. They keep putting in novelty acts, and unless they are hilarious, they don’t cut it in Eurovision. This year they have found the Belgian James Blunt, and he’s singing a gorgeous little song that really appeals to me in so many ways. I really hope it does well, I’d love it to win!!
Country: Germany
Artist: Lena Meyer-Landrut
Song: Satellite
This song is in my head and won’t go away! I’ve been listening to it for so long now on Youtube, and it’s the one I think could actually win outright. She’s cute, it’s quirky and a bit silly; it ticks all the right boxes for a great Eurovision winner (more on that later I think).
Now those are my five favourites. I believe that the actual winner will either be:
Germany,
Turkey has a really good chance,
Denmark has a good solid effort of a song,
or the most likely candidate is
Azerbaijan which is very ‘now’.
The singer for Ireland could very conceivably ‘do a Johnny Logan’ ;).
The reason there is a “My Top 5” and a “What Will Win” section separately, is because for one it doesn’t actually matter who wins as long as the contest as a concert is enjoyable. That’s the most important part for me.
For two, I know that my personal taste is different from that of the millions of other people in Europe, and ‘Europe as a whole’ who become a voting entity.
Third, this year in particular is very, very hard to call. There are several songs which are potential winners, and it all depends on the night and who votes for what – they is no definitive answer apart from speculation from the bookies ;)
Time will only tell what will win in the end, and that time is growing ever nearer! I can’t wait!!!
By the way, I lovelovelove Bulgaria after 1 minute like mad!
No comments:
Post a Comment